The Serendipity-Team is proud to provide the final release of Serendipity 1.4, conveniently codenamed "Post-Christmas-Monk-Miles-Moondog".
There have been some larger improvements since the 1.4-beta release, so these are the highlights of this release in short:
- (new since 1.4-beta1) References to online plugin documentation have been added (if
existing) and the display of the short plugin names has been added to the
plugin configuration menus.
- (new since 1.4-beta1) Firefox now no longer autoremembers passwords at the wrong places
- (new since 1.4-beta1) Added SMF importer
- (new since 1.4-beta1) Added a new %parentname% permalink option for category links
- (new since 1.4-beta1) Fix to properly, longer (30 days) sstrong>remember the user settings in cookies, like for media insertion
- Improvements in the now Double-Opt-In comment subscription (plus support
for fulltext comment notifications)
- new bundled default WYSIWYG editing component (Xinha, the successor of
HTMLArea). This new component is more reliable and cross-browser
capable than the old version, by still supporting everything that worked with
- The Entryproperties plugin now uses the new widget-style configuration
option to allow for custom arrangement of the entry-related features of this
plugin to your liking.
- The bulletproof template has been enabled as the new default template. The
frontend imitates the look of Carl Galloways Serendipity 1.0 relaunch template,
while the backend is much improved with a fresh, distinct look.
- The Remote RSS-Feed sidebar plugin now is templated, so that you can achieve distinct look for certain feeds on the sidebar.
Serendipity also addresses some minor bugs usually only affecting very special environments. Other changes include new PostgreSQL ts_vector fulltext search, comment approval-by-mail for the spamblock plugin, better HTTP header status updates for CGI environments. For developers, some API improvements and new variables/parameters have been added. The performance of the entryroperties plugin can be enhanced by new configuration options that let you fiddle with the involved SQL generation.
The complete list of all changes is documented within the docs/NEWS file of the release. This serendipity release is also the first one to include checksums to verify your installation integrity.
Updating is easy and documented online: Just upload the new files onto your web, possibly refresh/purge your browser cache (and if you upgrade from Serendipity older than 1.2, you might need to purge your old cookies), go to the admin panel and you're done. For shared installations, make sure all deployed htmlarea directories are updated with the new files (if not, the old htmlarea will still be there, not Xinha).
Also, the new version contains release checksums. This makes sure that the files you uploaded correspond with the checksums generated through the release. This way, bad FTP uploads will no longer be driving you nuts. If this makes any trouble for you, try to upload the files in BINARY mode in your FTP client.
For the future, Serendipity is still planning on minor and major features. We always keep a close ear to the wishes of our users, some of those that cannot be solved instantly have been documented here: Future of Serendipity. If you're a developer or designer, and want to help in proving that Serendipity is a flexible and easy to use Blogging/CMS-application - your help is needed and appreciated! Speaking of which: Many thanks to all current developers and forum users, especially Don Chambers, YellowLED and Judebert. Your help has been, and is vital to the project.
On behalf of the team: Happy new year and have fun with the release,
- Dirks Logbuch on : Serendipity 1.4 ...
- Compyblog on : Updating...
- :: CrUisErs BLOG :: on : Serendipity 1.4 released
- cithrix's personal blog on : Update auf Serendipity 1.4
- YellowLeds Weblog on : s9y 1.4 freigegeben
- web log buch on : Serendipity 1.4 erschienen
- Seraphyn Blog on : Serendipity 1.4
- Bjørn Roger Rasmussen (BRR) sin blogg on : Serendipity
- O tempora, o mores on : Neue Serendipity Version: 1.4
- szczepanek.org on : Serendipity 1.4 na start!
- Ormus.info on : Serendipity 1.4 veröffentlicht (aka diesen Codenamen merke ich mir nie)
- Nur ein Blog on : Serendipity 1.4 ist da
- Ansichtssachen on : Mal so der Morgen ...
- Naggy on : S9y 1.4 veröffentlicht
- superBlog on : Jahresrückblick
- Die_Farmblogger on : Zum Schluss
- [juergen-luebeck.de] on : s9y-Update
- lordmats heiterkeit! on : BlogUpdate 1.4
- rollenc?? on : Serendipity 1.4????
- trueten.de - Willkommen in unserem Blog! on : Post-Christmas-Monk-Miles-Moondog
- Webkrams, E-Sport und anderer Kappes on : Serendipity Upgrade 1.4