The Serendipity Team is proud to present the final release of Serendipity 1.5. While the earlier beta versions are proven to work fine for many people, it was finally time to package up a real release. ;)
This version mainly addresses login security by changing our method how passwords are stored to use salted SHA1 checksums instead of plain MD5 checksums. This makes password retrieval (rainbow attacks, see special blog posting) through the database virtually impossible. Another thing is improved PHP 5.3 compatibility.
For users of our Bundled WYSIWYG-Editor Xinha users now have the ability to easily customize the appearance of this panel through a "my_custom.js" file inside the template directory (a draft of such a file can be found as fallback default in the htmlarea/ subdirectory).
One cool new feature for developers is that now also templates can register themselves inside the plugin API hooks to execute specific things, that don't require installation of an event plugin.
Other news include:
- new event API hooks
- fixed PDF thumbnail generation
- ability to auto-scroll on borders when Drag/Dropping plugins
- UTC server time zone support
- improvements in the Smarty functions to easier use Serendipity as a CMS for individual entry output.
- quicksearch improvements for doing a wildcard-search when too few searchresults were found on a fixed searchterm
- support for Typepad anti-spam server-checks, additionally to Akismet
Minor improvements since the 1.5-beta1 release:
- more PHP 5.3.0 compatibility improvements
- Disallow uploading any files that contain ".php." in the filename for extra security with Apache MimeMagic-Modules
- expermiental PDO:SQlite support
- usability improvements for the comment moderation panel (bottom-navigation, removed border increase)
The current release can be easily installed on any previous Serendipity installation. Just unpack, upload and visit your admin panel to perform possible database upgrades. Upon first login with an old password, Serendipity will store your old password in the new format - please be sure to make a backup of your Database prior to upgrading, and read the upgrade pointers on Upgrading Serendipity.
Have fun using Serendipity, and let us know on the Forums if you have any issues!
Update: Accidentaly, the 1.6-alpha release file was uploaded with the wrong file name. This has been fixed, the real files are now available -- users who had already downloaded this 1.6 release can either re-download the new release bundle, or stay at their current version. 1.6 has only 2 minor changes yet, and is 99,9% identical with 1.5 at this point. The most major difference would only be the version number. ;-)
I'm sorry for this fault, I blame it on the german weather...
- No Trackbacks