Long time no see - after about a year and a half, we're back with the first beta release of Serendipiy 2.4, featuring PHP 8 compatibility and database upgrades to enable full unicode input!
Serendipity 2.4-beta1 is the first release of Serendipity that targets compatibility with PHP 8. It changes a lot of code in the core of Serendipity that triggered warnings with recent versions of PHP 8. At the same time, the Serendipity team fixed many compatibility issues in plugins and themes.
Besides various fixes, some significant changes to the latest stable 2.3.5 are:
- PHP 8 compatibility for the core, current themes and many plugins hosted on Spartacus
- Split date/time input in the editor, enabling browser support for entering time and date
- Notifications for plugin updates
- Fixes and enhancements for the multi-language support
- Move MySQL databases from MyIsam and UTF8 to InnoDB and utf8mb4, enabling full unicode input
This version of Serendipity has already seen production use in multiple blogs, but it's still a beta with rather large changes, especially concerning PHP 8 compatibility, database changes and multi-language support. So please handle it with care! Also please read the PHP 8 upgrade hints in the Github wiki.
We would love to get feedback from our users! Please help us in reaching full support for PHP 8 by running this version with PHP 8 and report bugs (also and especially for plugins) in the forum or the Github issue tracker. But please be sure to try out the new release just on test/development blogs yet. If you absolutely want to test it on production blogs, make sure to have a backup (of your files, your media and your database) available.
Please see the release statement on GitHub for more (technical) details.
You can download the release file and unzip it to your installation as usual.
- onli blogging am : Serendipity 2.4-beta1 bringt Kompatibilität mit PHP 8.0