The Serendipity Team is very proud to present the first beta release of Serendipity 0.9. This version has been in development for about half a year, and alpha version nightlies/snapshot have been available ever since. Thus, many people already got a hang of the large feature improvements since Serendipity 0.8.
The nightlies have been reported as quite stable, and there are no open bugs known to us - so now it's your turn to have a try!
Upgrading from any version to Serendipity 0.9 is easy and can be done as before: Just unpack the release files to your existing directory, go to your admin panel and confirm the upgrade process. Serendipity automatically upgrades your database and tells you of important changes. If you are upgrading from a version prior to Serendipity 0.8, be sure to read this upgrade pointer: http://www.s9y.org/index.php?node=63
With the same method you can later upgrade to the 0.9 final release, so you won't put yourself in danger when trying out the release.
Now here's a list of major new changes since Serendipity 0.8:
- Flexible usergroup management. Authors can now be grouped inside usergroups and can have certain privileges (edit entries, upload images, maintain plugins, ...). An author can be a member of more than one groups, inheriting all privileges of each group he is a member of. You can also now adjust read/write permissions for each category.
- Custom Permalink support. Allows to configure the URL path structure from all important permalinks to suit your needs - you can now use /oldEntries/2005/10/28/Garvins-Birthday.html as entry permalink format or any other structure you may like.
- UTF-8 support for all languages and bundled/additional plugins. Be sure to read http://www.s9y.org/index.php?node=46 for migrating an non-UTF-8 blog to UTF-8
- Improved performance of Plugin API, introduce validation of config items within the API
- Improved Spartacus Online Repository. Less memory usage, now also fetch templates over the web, plugin groups and better integration with the plugin backend
- Better usability: Multiple fileupload at once, media manager remembers last used settings, when deleting entries/comments you return to the overview immediately, foundation to support other WYSIWYG editors via plugin (TinyMCE, Xinha, FCKEditor)
- Atom 1.0 Feed support
- Improved MoveableType import, recognizing comments and trackbacks
- Support of MySQL boolean fulltext search
- More smarty templating options: Added new CSS classes in the default template to support styling trackback/comment/commentform/search-results easier. Localized "Reply" string. Optimized performance of accessing constants.
- Support frontend viewing of multiple selected categories and allowing the entryproperties plugin to hide certain entries from the frontpage.
- Support Gregorian/Jalali calendar
- New translations: Swedish, Hungarian, European Portuguese
- Bugfix: Category selector will now act correctly in Konqueror and Opera
- Bugfix: Importers can now import from tables that are not inside the same database as Serendipity
And those are only the highlights! See the docs/NEWS file in the release file for the full list of changes.
Now what are you waiting for? Download latest release!