The Serendipity Team is proud to announce the availability of the final version of 0.9 with a largely improved featureset, offering not only one of the best Blog-Engines around, but also as an aid for many CMS-needs you might face. It's multi-user features have been drastically improved, making Serendipity an allround-killer-flexible Web-Application.
Serendipity is a PHP-powered weblog application which gives the user an easy way to maintain an online diary, weblog or personal homepage.
The development of Serendipity is intended to offer a flexible, expandible and easy-to-use framework. We use a sophisticated Plugin architecture, affecting both the appearance of your blog and its core features. It ships with a variety of useful plugins to enhance your blog, and several more are available in an additional CVS repository. Serendipity's Frontend is based on Smarty Templating and can thus be easily modified and enhanced.
User of other blog systems like WordPress, Textpattern or MoveableType might favor Serendipity because of its
- functional and flexible plugin expandability without the hassle of editing the core application files
- standard compliant templating (smarty), embedding of s9y into other frontends
- multilanguage abilities
- BSD-style licensing
- dynamically created pages
- WYSIWYG editing
- Multiple DB support (SQLite, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MySQLi)
- Online Plugin Repository for easy plug-and-play installation
- Shared Installation for powering multiple blogs from just one sourcecode
- builtin media database
- cool plugins: Category-based Sub-Blogs, Planet/Aggregator, Static pages/blocks
- Easy upgrading from every version
- Native import of many blog applications (WP, TXP, MT, bblog, ...)
The highlights of this new version are UTF-8 support, flexible usergroups, custom permalinks and enhanced Online Repository (Spartacus) means. As well as a lot more:
NEW FEATURES / FIXES
Now here's a list of major new changes since Serendipity 0.8:
- Flexible usergroup management. Authors can now be grouped inside usergroups and can have certain privileges (edit entries, upload images, maintain plugins, ...). An author can be a member of more than one groups, inheriting all privileges of each group he is a member of. Read/Write support can be assigned per-category.
- Custom Permalink support. Allows to configure the URL path structure from all important permalinks to suit your needs - you can now use /oldEntries/2005/10/28/Garvins-Birthday.html as entry permalink format or any other structure you may like. Added per-author XML feeds.
- UTF-8 support for all languages and bundled/additional plugins. Be sure to read http://www.s9y.org/index.php?node=46 for migrating an non-UTF-8 blog to UTF-8
- Improved Spartacus Online Repository. Less memory usage, now also fetch templates over the web, plugin groups and better integration with the plugin backend, set creation permissions
- Better usability: Multiple fileupload at once, media manager remembers last used settings, when deleting entries/comments you return to the overview immediately, support other WYSIWYG editors via plugin (TinyMCE, Xinha, FCKEditor), one-click spamfiltering of author/urls in the comments panel
- Atom 1.0 Feed support
- Improved MoveableType import, recognizing comments and trackbacks
- Support of MySQL boolean fulltext search
- More smarty templating options: Added new CSS classes in the default template to support styling trackback/comment/commentform/search-results easier. Localized "Reply" string. Optimized performance of accessing constants. Smartified the "Categories" plugin for better customization.
- Support frontend viewing of multiple selected categories and allowing the entryproperties plugin to hide certain entries from the frontpage.
- Enhanced bundled plugins: Entryproperties plugin can toggle whether to hide an entry from your RSS feed and add any number of custom fields to an entry.
- Support Gregorian/Jalali calendar
- New translations: Swedish, Hungarian, European Portuguese
- Bugfix: Category selector will now act correctly in Konqueror and Opera
- Bugfix: Importers can now import from tables that are not inside the same database as Serendipity
- Bugfix: Some function variable return codes fixed so that they should comply with PHP 4.4
And those are only the highlights! See the docs/NEWS file in the release file for the full list of changes.
Serendipity 0.9 has been in development for more than half a year, and alpha version nightlies/snapshot have been available ever since. Thus, many people already got a hang of the large feature improvements since Serendipity 0.8. Our beta-release cycle has taken about 4 weeks, where remaining issues have been fixed, so that this new release is considered pretty stable.
Upgrading from any version (also beta/alphas from previous versions) to Serendipity 0.9 is easy and can be done as before: Just unpack the release files to your existing directory, go to your admin panel and confirm the upgrade process. Serendipity automatically upgrades your database and tells you of important changes. If you are upgrading from a version prior to Serendipity 0.8, be sure to read this upgrade pointer: http://www.s9y.org/index.php?node=63
Now what are you waiting for? Download latest release!
On behalf of the s9y-Team, celebrating his birthday with this release,
- superBlog am : Serendipity 0.9 Release, Codename "Geburtstagswochenende"
- Rembrandt's Malerwerkst.at am : s9y 9.0
- Zz. am : Serendipity 0.9 released
- YellowLeds Weblog am : s9y-Release: 0.9
- codeschmie.de am : Serendipity 0.9 released
- Beulbek - weblog van Jaap am : Upgrade Serendipity
- Feelin' Fine am : Upgraded to Serendipity 0.9
- el*Loco blogged am : Update der besten Blogsoftware der Welt
- i.am.Ben's Blog am : Serendipity 0.9 released
- KnoedelDealer.de am : Neue 'Serendipity-Version
- Marco Gabriel am : Serendipity 0.9 final erschienen
- Captain's blog am : S9Y 0.9 has landed
- hochniveau: Das offizielle Blog der h8u.de Gemeinde am : Null-punkt-neun, das find ich fein
- ridcully.info am : Update auf s9y 0.9
- Dirks Logbuch am : Version 0.9 gelandet ...
- Die wunderbare Welt von Isotopp am : Happy Birthday, Garvin!
- codeschmie.de am : Serendipity 0.9 released
- Nate Johnston's Work Blog am : Serendipity 0.9 released
- Blogstart.de am : Serendipity 0.9 released!
- Sil53r Surf3r am : Serendipity 0.9 released
- /home/martin am : Serendipity 0.9 released
- Mark Leavy's personal blog am : Serendipity 0.9 released
- Wesley's Tool-Box am : Site upgraded to s9y 0.9
- Frodes weblog am : Serendipity 0.9 er ute
- Das Blog zu den Blogs am : Ankündigung Wartungsarbeiten
- nodomain.cc am : Serendipity 0.9
- meersau am : Update auf Serendipity 0.9
- Sil53r Surf3r am : Sil53r Surf3r updated
- Ontological Speculations am : Serendipity 0.9
- h t t p : / / m a l i s o n . o r g am : Serendipity 0.9 released
- paupau's blog am : Serendipity 0.9 released
- File Status 48 - Write failure! am : Upgrade auf S9y 0.9
- Philipp's Blog am : Serendipity 0.9
- cybermat.de ...warum nicht?! am : Blogupdate
- Administrator's Blog am : Updates und Werbung
- Cyberward.net -:- Chris Ward's Blog am : Spooth Serendipity Upgrade
- S&P data blog am : Blog-Software Serendipity
- Miscellaneous Ramblings.... am : Updated (Serendipity) Blog software (Again)
- s9y::blog am : Serendipity 0.9.1 maintenance release
- Gallien -> personal brain backup am : Update auf Serendipity 0.9.1